iPad Digital Artist Abstract & Experimental Painter
Susie’s Bio, Awards, Events, Galleries, Media
My current passion is creating art on my iPad with the many fabulous new art apps available. There’s no mess, no clean-up and no need to store paintings waiting for their next home! My abstract digital collages are full of of the same energy, texture and excitement as my traditional work. Instead of using washi papers, acrylic ink, watercolor and found objects, I use a variety of iPad art apps. Whimsy and play are still my top goals. I also teach iPad Art and Photo Collage. Hope you’ll join us.
As a young child I was the fortunate student of Gerald Brommer, a world-class elementary school teacher who has become a well-loved international artist. I was delighted when we studied the ocean and raised my hand vigorously to draw the fish. Mine had bright colors, lots of interesting lines and reasonable fish-like shapes. The vibrant paintings and organic designs that fill my work today are informed by our years together. See my contribution to a wonderful exhibition Water: A Necessary Conversation. This show jump-started a new series Water Signs, in process.
Not content to stay still, I’ve explored life in Santa Barbara, San Francisco, Austin, Atlanta and Hilton Head. I’ve created watercolor and acrylic paintings, large textural abstracts and experimental art, had fund-raisers, shows, rented studios and taught collage and iPad Art classes. Now I’m permanently back home in SoCal and am never leaving!
Awards, Events & Galleries
- 2011 International Juried Show Hilton Head Art League Gallery – Passion Flower – Acrylic on canvas, sold.
- 2012 Beaufort Art Association Juried Spring Show – Memorial Award for City Rhythms
- 2012 National HealthCare & Alzheimer’s Association One-Woman Show to raise funds for Alzheimer’s Assn.
- 2013 Laguna Woods Art Association Oil-Acrylic Exhibition – Third Place for Surprise
- 2013 Laguna Woods City Council Chambers – City on the River
- 2013 Susi-Q Gallery, Laguna Beach, CA – group exhibit – City of Angels
- 2014 Light, Space & Time, “All Women Competition” – Special Recognition City Runways
- 2014 The Studio Gallery, Irvine CA, Solo show –Signs of the City
- 2014 Orange County Fine Arts (Juried membership) Showcase Gallery – “Driven to Abstraction” – 2nd Place Award for City Litter
- Represented by Gallery 825, West Hollywood, CA
- 2014 Southbay Contemporary – “FRESH” – Electro Vocab, combo digital and traditional painting printed on metal
- 2014 Irvine Fine Arts Center – “All Media Exhibition” – City on the River, City on the River #2
2015 OCCCA – “CHAOS” – Yoga Maiden, abstract acrylic; Dementia – 3 digital paintings
- 2015 Gallery 825 – “VS” – Digital collaboration with Lenka Talska using the iPad app Procreate to make Ess Ess Mein Kindt a portrait of a Jewish mother, printed on aluminum
- 2015 “Mobile Digital and Creative Arts Summit Exhibition”, juried show, Love Wins – digital painting
- 2016 “JWA’s Community Focus Space Program Exhibition” – Airport SOLO SHOW – featuring 11 traditional and digital artworks showing my works as an experimental artist transitioning into iPad Art and iPhoneography. Jan 14 – Feb 16th, 2016
- 2016 OCCCA – “TXtMe” – Water Signs, Laguna Woods, photo collage on aluminum
- “Art for Alzheimer’s” Sunsations Magazine, 2012
- “Artist Gives Back” Bluffton Today, 2012
- “Through the Purple Door” Island Packet News, 2012
- “Art by Susie Stockholm” – video (click the Video tab on <artuitive.net/blog>) 2013
- “Can I Afford Original Art?” – video (click the Video tab on <artuitive.net/blog>) 2013
- “Conversations with Susie” – interviewed Ellen Rose, award-winning artist and Louise Doslu iPad portrait artist <talkwithsusie.com> 2013
- “Floral Textures” An Experiment in Movement – book, 2011
- Channel 6 – Morning Show ThisDay with Ken Goldenberg, Laguna Woods 2014
- San Clemente Times, June 18, 2015 – Making Waves, Student Art Show
- Art on the Fly – Orange County Register, http://www.ocregister.com/articles/stockholm-701749-art-different.html